Business Finacial Group
Business Finacial Group
Free Consultation

Tracking Vehicle Expenses for Your Taxes Should you do it?

It’s no surprise if you’re worried about the expenses of owning a vehicle. The gas prices alone have sky-rocketed in these past few months. We’re dealing with the highest inflation rate of 9.1% in July compared to last year, which was very alarming. 

Everyone should consistently check on their expenses, even if they initially feel like small ones. It will help you prepare for the upcoming tax announcements in December and ensure your financial stability.

People are usually ready for the upcoming taxes. However, people who aren’t; can read our tips. We’ve outlined some of the best ways of tracking your vehicle expenses for your taxes. You might be spending more on your vehicles than you initially think since they might be smaller repairs. By tracking your expenses, you can better understand where you’re spending your money.

Vehicle expenses are one of the most challenging costs to determine, but they are essential. The IRS increased the standard mileage rate by 4 cents in the second half of 2022. This could accumulate to a massive amount if you consider your annual mileage expenses.

It’s around 62.5 cents per mile between July and December for citizens in 2022. So, anyone driving around the city and not keeping track of their expenses is missing out on the tax relaxations they might get otherwise.

Have Question?



Have Questions? Call us at (678) 799-7241 and let us show you how our expertise can save you in the long run.

[contact-form-7 id="482" title="CALL US TODAY FOR A CONSULTATION!"]

Who can Claim the Vehicle Deduction?  (Tracking Vehicle Expenses)

A car, van, pickup, or panel truck qualifies as a vehicle per the rules set by the IRS. People who own the vehicle or have it on a lease also qualify for a tax deduction with proper mileage tracking.

The basic rule applies to owners will more than one car as well. However, five or more cars qualify as a fleet and may require different rules for the vehicle deduction.

Where should you Report these Costs on the 1040?

You should report the vehicle expenses on Schedule C (or Schedule F for farmers). While the latest IRS forms (2022) still haven’t surfaced, the ones from previous years required individuals to report it on Schedule C on line 9 of Part II.

We hope that it will be in the same section for the 2022 tax year but can confirm only when the details surface.

What kind of  Business-Related Travel expenses can you deduct?

The rules set by the IRS are a bit confusing in this area since it claims that you can deduct “ordinary and necessary expenses” when using the car for business-related tasks.

For example, meeting with a client for your start-up or an established business counts as a deductible. Or, you can do it when you have to travel to a location different than your workplace for work-related affairs.

Individuals can also mark their trips to their temporary workplace in the vehicle deductions to get tax returns on it.

However, the temporary workplace needs to be different than your primary workspace. Keep expenses like gas, oil, and tire change costs that could come up while using the car.

Claimers need to list every minute detail of the vehicle expense before filing for a deductible. The clearer your records are, the easier it will be for you as a filer to get the benefits later.

Keep in mind that you cannot deduct the home to regular workplace travels in this list. It doesn’t count as a deducible expense.

However, the rules set by the IRS are a little confusing, so there might be some exceptions. So, filers should discuss the exact details with the relevant professionals to avoid any serious mistakes.

How do you calculate the Tax Deduction on your Vehicle Expenses?

Knowing how to calculate the vehicle expense for your taxes can make filing so much faster. Know that there are two ways to calculate your vehicle deductibles in Schedule C.

1.Standard Mileage Rate

You may not qualify for the standard mileage rate in several situations. For example, you could file for a Section C 179 deduction. So, keep these two tips in mind when filing.

  • Individuals who complete Schedule A qualify to deduct state and local personal property taxes on motor vehicles.
  • Self-employed individuals can deduct the business-related portion of the state and the taxes for local property. The amount left can be reported in Schedule A.

Note: Always file for the standard mileage rate in the first year of the claim business expense.

2.Actual Expense Method

The actual expense method is more complicated than the standard mileage rate we mentioned earlier. It requires detailed work and proficient bookkeeping. Most individuals think they can handle the book reporting themselves, but it isn’t as easy as most people would consider.

Therefore, we recommend using certain tools to assist you through the process. If you’re unsure how to do this, our experts can help you pick out the best digital tools for your requirements.

Nonetheless, maintaining structured and detailed records of all activity is important, regardless of the bookkeeping method you choose.

Note that you need to produce these documents and details during an audit. Filing for vehicle tax deductible may be a red flag to the IRS, making them conduct an audit shortly.

Here’s a list of the most common expense details you need to produce for the IRS:

  • Repairs and tires
  • Registration fees
  • Insurance
  • Gasoline and oil
  • Garage rental
  • Depreciation

Which method is better to track your vehicle expenses?

Individuals who qualify for both these tax deductions should concurrently calculate them. By calculating them this way, you can find one that’s favorable for you and decide.

Determining the best method for vehicle deductibles is a little complex and can land you in trouble. The IRS rules are often confusing, but our experts can help you out. If you need help with tracking these expenses or filing your taxes, contact us now. We would love to help you record your vehicle expenses for your taxes.

Have Question?


Signup for Newsletter

Powered by
Schedule A Free Consultation

Powered by